There are present different types of knee joint replacements including different surgical options. It is the qualified and experienced physician and orthopedic surgeon, who can assist the patients to select the best and safest possible option available for him while accounting the condition of their general health and the knee.
Since India has some of the finest orthopedic surgeons and hospitals, medical tourism is fast becoming popular among foreigners spread across the globe. And if someone is looking for knee replacement procedures, then one can seek a help of medical travel companies for the complete guidance.
Some of the major knee replacement surgery types are-
- Total knee replacement: An operation of this type involves joint surface replacements at the thigh bone’s end and at the shin bone’s top. This replacement might also involve having kneecap under surface replaced with the smooth plastic dome. The natural patella is often preserved by few surgeons. However, the decision is made at the time of performing the operation. Even after having a prior operation for removing patella knee replacement can be had. However, the replacement part type used by the surgeon could be affected. Using mobile plastic bearing is regarded to be another technique.
- Unicompartmental knee replacement: The knee has generally three compartments, which are – medial (inner), lateral (outer), patellofemoral (kneecap). In case, one side of the knee, generally the inner side is affected by arthritis, half knee replacement, also known as partial replacement or unicompartmental is very much possible. The reason is because less interference is involved with the knee when compared to total knee replacement. Hence it can mean better function and quicker recovery. Such replacement could be performed through a smaller incision using techniques known as invasive surgery. But it is not suitable for everyone since the person is required to have healthy, strong ligaments within the knee. It can be performed on people of any age. It offers young people an opportunity for preserving more bone that can prove to be useful at the later stage if revision surgery is required. Elderly people can find this surgery type to be less painful and chances of bleeding are very less. The surgery outcome depends on upon the arthritis type.
- Patellofemoral arthroplasty (Kneecap replacement): The kneecap undersurface along with the groove can be replaced if they are the parts that have got affected by arthritis. It is also known as the patellofemoral replacement. However, the higher failure rate is experienced in this kind of surgery that could be caused by arthritis which probably might progress to the other knee parts. It is quite suitable for one out of forty affected by osteoarthritis. This surgery can prove to be worthy if the progress of arthritis stops and it just requires a less major operation to offer the patient with much speedier recovery.
- Revision or complex knee replacement: Few people could require much more complex knee replacement type. The general reasons cited for this is as follows:
- Major knee deformity
- Weakness of the main knee ligaments
- Significant bone loss because of fracture or arthritis
Such type could be necessary if the patient is having 2nd or 3 rd joint replacements within the same knee.
The above are the major types of knee replacement surgeries that are performed in the country, the reason why medical travel is growing at a fast pace.
Picture Credit : By User:Ravedave – Own work, CC BY-SA 3.0 wikimedia.org