Prior to the prevalence of flu season, it is better to unfold certain facts, questions and misconceptions on this topic. There are many popular questions and misconceptions regarding the proper treatment and habits to be developed to fight this disease. Flu treatment, effectiveness of flu vaccines and availability of these vaccines at post season period are the areas to focus. Mentioned below are five things to be aware of in the recent trends of flu.
- The flu seasons undergo fluctuations throughout the year. The flu activities mainly peak within December months and February at United States. However, the seasonal activities may start off from October to continue up to May. CDC (Centres for Disease Control and Prevention) reported in 2014 to 2015 that such activities went up during pre December and kept on rising till mid-Jan. This flu season is estimated to continue up to many weeks.
- Influence A or H3N2 is the year’s most popular strain of flu virus. Particularly with young children and older people, H3N2 active seasons are connected with more extreme illness and rate of mortality. The flu vaccination may not function as effectively as needed against certain H3N2 viruses; it can protect the people against death and by reducing hospitalization.
- Flu treatment should be done with the influenza antiviral drugs. These drugs are basically prescription medicines to fight against flu within the body. Whenever used in treatment, they could lower the symptoms and reduce the time people get sick by either 1 or 2 days. CDCs recommendations states using antiviral drugs for treating sick people and those considered to be at increasing risk of severe flu complications.
- For certain group of individuals, flu tends to be extremely dangerous. It includes children, pregnant women, seniors, American Indians and the Alaskan Natives. People with the chronic conditions are also known to be at higher risk to develop severe illness due to flu. Flu shot is usually the initial line of defense for all these extra vulnerable groups.
- It is not yet late to have this flu shot. As per CDCs recommendation, an annual flu vaccination for people that are 6 months old or more is helpful. Flu shots are available during October month which are effective till the flu viruses keep circulating within the community.
Flu is normally contagious and those who have received the flu treatment shot may follow these
below mentioned steps to avoid it from spreading any more:
- Stay away from sick people and avoid all possible close contact.
- There is a need to cover the nose and mouse by a tissue while coughing or sneezing.
- Use water and soap to wash the hands properly.
- Practice every possible healthy habit.
- Disinfect the touched surfaces.
- Get enough of rest per day on a regular basis.
- Drink enough water throughout the day.
- Grow healthy eating habits, avoid processed and oily foods.
Following the above mentioned steps would ensure a healthy life and future. For a healthy mind, it is important to have a healthy body first.
Image credit: subbotina