A missing tooth can be replaced by either of the two ways: dental implants or dental bridges. Dentures can be a viable option here but that is an entirely different topic. Both come with a host of advantages, so it is better to consult with one’s dentist before choosing an option.
For support, they do not depend on neighbouring teeth. A false root provides the required support that gets placed by the dentist into the jaw bone. This titanium fixture gets meld with bone material via a process named Osseointegration. The implant gets completed at the time when a crown gets positioned on the fixture’s top by the dentist.
• Dental implants inhibit jaw bone loss. This loss, particularly the areas surrounding the lips, can cause the face to sag.
• Less stress is caused on the neighbouring teeth. They do not require to be filled down so as to support the fixture.
• An implant last forever if maintained carefully.
• The surgery is relatively painless but still it is a surgery. The process takes time to heal, resulting in causing complications like infections.
• Dental implants are more expensive when compared with bridges. It can be of significant amount if one is not having a fantastic dental insurance.
Quite apt to what it sounds like. A fake tooth gets placed between two normal teeth. Crowns are positioned on the neighbouring teeth, supporting the latest addition in the form of a ‘bridge’. Two sessions are required so as to perform the bridgework.
• On an average, bridges are cheaper than implants.
• Looks exactly like the original teeth.
• Bridges don’t normally associate itself with tooth decay.
• Less intrusive when compared with surgical implants. People suffering from heart problems, diabetes and other such conditions should definitely be opting for this option.
• The neighbouring teeth are to be filled down so as to fit- in the fake tooth, causing loss of a sound structure. It destroys the sound teeth’s health in the process.
• Instead of normal dental floss, specialized tool or a threader is required by bridges for cleaning.
• The entire thing can get damaged if the neighbouring teeth develop cavity.
Do come to our Santa Rosa office where we can come with the best plan suited for you.
Author Bio: Tim Galoger, works as a marketing consultant for Valeria Lawrence Dental office and he is an author of many articles related to law and personal injury.